Click play for audio of history:
Pontchartrain Yacht Club was founded in 1967 during a gathering of interested yachtsmen. The Club was also accepted as a member of the United States Sailing Association in that same year. Since 1968, Pontchartrain Yacht Club has been a member of the Gulf Yachting Association, which incorporates 33 yacht clubs from Houston, TX to St. Petersburg, FL.
The first yacht club on this site was the second location of the Mandeville Yacht Club, which was located at 1635 Lake Street and operated at this location from 1893 to 1903.
In 2005, Hurricanes Katrina and Rita destroyed the club house and devastated much of the surrounding area. Pontchartrain Yacht Club re-opened using temporary quarters and began the rebuilding process. The new, elevated clubhouse was open for business in the early summer of 2007.