Click play for audio of history:
1951 Lakeshore Drive. Built as a tavern, circa 1850, this is Mandeville’s only masonry building from the antebellum period. It is missing its original upper level front and rear galleries. In the 1860’s, it was part of a large complex of buildings known as the Soldier’s Home. Honore Dousan, émigré from France and a physician in Napoleon’s army, cared for Confederate soldiers here. He was succeeded by Dr. Alonzo Givens until funding was lost circa 1880.
Alonzo Givens' medical office built circa 1880 is a residential property located on this block, facing Marigny Avenue.