Allenton Hotel - Northstar Theater
Click play for audio of history:
347 Girod Street. The Allenton Hotel, circa 1927, held its grand opening on December 31, 1927 (The Farmer 12-31-1927) and was built by E J Allen to take advantage of the train tracks that were planned to run along what was originally named Gerard Street. The tracks were never built, however the Allenton (sometimes The Allen) became a popular destination with its dancehall, dining room and bar on the first floor. The second floor, with its 10 guest rooms complete with a sink and gas heaters, boasted two full baths.
During the construction of the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway (1956-1961) the building acted as boarding house for workers. When construction was complete, the Allenton fell into disrepair.
A new owner and major renovation in 1978 added central heat and air, new wiring, plumbing and leveled the old structure. The ground floor was converted into a cooperative of small businesses called the Small Mall. The upstairs was briefly a bed and breakfast, then converted into apartments. It was in the 1990s that the building became part of the North Star theater complex.
The former front gallery, lap siding and slate roof are long gone.