Johnson House/Maison Lafitte
Click play for audio of history:
402 Lafitte Street. Johnson House/Maison Lafitte, circa 1905, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Built for Mrs Marie 'Emma' Duteil Prudhomme, the home is featured with photographs and an article in a 1905 publication: 'St Tammany Parish', by J S Glass. The original structure was a five-bay Victorian with wrap-around gallery and decorative columns.
According to the article: ....'after selling her handsome residence (2423 Lakeshore Drive) on the beach, Mrs Prudhomme decided to erect a residence in a more retired section of town. This fine modern home is furnished through-out with all the latest and modern conveniences.'
Mrs Prudhomme would maintain her reputation for fine buildings with the handsome cathedral vault she erected in the Mandeville cemetery where she and family members are buried.
In 1914, Prudhomme sold the property to Thomas J Johnson. It was during this time that the facade was updated with the addition of the stuccoed arched openings held up by hefty, stucco-clad pedestals. The Johnson family would maintain its long tenure for 90 years.
Maison Lafitte, as the property is now known, is a special events facility.