Holy Family Hall
Click play for audio of history:
325 Lafitte Street. Holy Family Hall was barged to this location from a monastery in Gessen, LA for the Society of the Sisters of the Holy Family. Founded by Sister Henriette DeLille (1813-1862). Mother Venerable Henriette Díaz DeLille was an Afro-American French Créole woman from New Orleans, Louisiana.
As their first mission on the north shore, this location provided a convent, retreat, private pier with bathhouse and a schoolhouse. The Holy Family School for Negroes, 1897-1959, had classrooms on the ground floor, a chapel on the second floor and a dormitory on the third.
Now home to the Knight's of Columbus, this location is the former site of Father Aveilhe's St. Eugene College.