Original Town Hall
Click play for audio of history:
1923 Jefferson Street, The Original town Hall. This building has served many civic purposes since the construction of the new City Hall on East Causeway Approach. The town was incorporated in 1840. The election of a mayor and five aldermen was decided. Boundaries were set, public buildings planned and ordinances written and passed. The city has records of elected officials beginning in 1869. Perhaps, this location was set aside for this public purpose around then. Just behind is the old jail, circa 1938, facing Madison St.