2400 Block of Lakeshore Drive. Poitevent Homes. Three imposing Creole hoses built between 1835 and 1850.
2441 Lakeshore Drive. Dr. Auguste Ferrier House, circa 1849. The Ferrier family were New Orleans residents who probably used this as a summer retreat during their 17 year tenure. In 1903, six transfers later, the Witherspoon family acquired the property and during their long tenure it is believed that the apron overhang and bracketing were added to the simple Creole facade. Also, during this time a lovely postcard captioned "Witherspoon residence, Mandeville" was printed and marketed.
The Poitevent connection for this property began in 1954 with the purchase by John Butts, a relation through marriage. The home remained within this family until 1995.
2423 Lakeshore Drive. Theodule Verret House, circa 1849. Verret was mayor and civic leader during Mandeville’s earliest days. Solidly built 12 feet high and far from the street, this home was constructed for year round living unlike most lakefront buildings. Gas heating and lighting were installed during the 51 years of Verret family ownership. These gas fireplaces remain operational today.
In 1900, owner Marie Duteil Prudhomme had the Creole Cottage remodeled to reflect the Victorian style popular at the time, adding the dormer and ornate gallery. It became a landmark for steamer passengers, who referred to the imposing structure as the White Castle on the lake. In 1927 the house was acquired by Junius "June" Poitevent, Jr. His heirs enhanced the ground foundation with a foot deep clam shell cement mixture, as well as adding central air conditioning and a pool. The home remained in the Junius Poitevent family until 2003. This site appeared in the movie "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (2008).
2407 Lakeshore Drive. Dufilho-Poitevent House, circa 1840, began as a simple four room hunting lodge. It was enlarged in 1850 and again in the 1890's when owner W. G. Boylan connected the 1880’s shotgun (built as a separate address by Charles Lafitte) with a breezeway to become the east side addition. Known as Rosedale, the old property was described in a 1905 publication by J. S. Glass as having "fine gardens, and lawns; with fig trees, pear, plum, apple, peach and pecan trees, and the only orange tree bearing in town. As well as two fine flowing artesian wells."
In 1913 the Poitevent-Faure Lumber Company acquired the property for the John W. Poitevent family who maintained ownership for 90 years. Former home of artist Emory Clark.