First Free Mission Baptist Church
Click play for audio of history:
434 Lamarque Street. First Free Mission Baptist Church, circa 1879. Prayer meetings in the homes of the congregation's determined founders began the effort to buy land and build the church. Meetings were hosted by Sister Frances and Sister Clemonce Holiday, among others. Henry Davis, Elder, purchased the land for a church building in 1881 from the Widow Gaillard for $15. The church building remains relatively unaltered. Enclosed in the lapboard belfry, an old bell waits to be called back into service.