Planning and Development

Department of Planning & Development:

Director: Cara Bartholomew, AICP


City Hall is currently open to the public, appointments are encouraged. We ask that you please respect social distancing.  To gain entry to the department please knock at the side door and you will be buzzed in (the buzzer is silent).

Applications for permits and other planning functions can be accessed on this page.  All forms are fillable and can be submitted by email or drop box behind City Hall.  All Staff can be reached by email at or by phone (985) 624-3103. Thank you!



Mission and General Contact Information

Mission Statement:

The Department of Planning and Development has a long term commitment to economic vitality, environmental integrity, and development design quality that will allow Mandeville to grow in a manner consistent with the goals of the community as identified under our Comprehensive Land Use Plan.We provide guidance for quality growth and development through a concentrated effort of planning, land use controls, historic preservation, permitting and enforcement in order to maintain a community of lasting value to improve the quality of life. We are committed to the highest ethical and professional standards, and with enduring respect for our customers and the public trust.

General Contact Information:

All staff can be reached by telephone at (985) 624-3103 or 624-3104 or by email at

Permit Information, Applications, Deadlines

Permit Information:

Permits are required to ensure all construction is completed correctly and complies with the current edition of the Louisiana State Uniform Construction Code. Permits are required regardless of whether a contractor or homeowner does the work.

If you are unsure whether a permit is required, or need further information, please give us a call at 985-624-3103 or email us at

All building permits issued on or after February 1, 2018 will be inspected to the 2014 National Electric Code and the 2015 I Codes per the Louisiana State Uniform Code Council (LSUCCC).  Please click here to see the listed code sections that have most frequently needed clarification.  This is not an all inclusive list of changes.  In addition, it is the responsibility of the Contractor/Subcontractor to ensure his/her work complies with the most current code requirements.

Building, plumbing and mechanical inspections are conducted Monday- Friday, 9:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m. Inspections must be requested 24 hours in advance. Please have the property address ready for the inspection request.

All contractors working within the City limits of Mandeville must be registered yearly.

Building Permit Applications:

Please download the application to your desktop before filling out. The information will not save unless you do so.

Landscape Permit Applications:

Tree Removal Permit Application

Underbrushing Permit Application

Tree and Shrub Planting List

Street Tree Planting/Re-Leaf Program Application

Signage Regulations and Permit Applications:

Sign Permit Application and Submittal Requirements

Contractor Forms:

Contractor Registration Form



Commissions - Planning & Zoning, Historic District, Parks & Parkways
Floodplain Management

Where can I find my new flood zone?
The city has a link on its website to the Louisiana Mapping Project ( where the maps may be searched by address

The Interactive Mapping tool allows you to plug in your address, see your prior elevation, your proposed elevation, and additional information regarding the process of adopting the maps.

Click here to use the Interactive Mapping tool to view flood map information

Letter of Map Change

National Flood Insurance Program Support Call Center Information

NOAA Emergency Contact Information - Southeast Louisaina

2018 Flood Hazard Handout

Resident Letter To Help Protect Your Structure

Protect Yourself With Flood Insurance

Realtor, Lender and Insurance Agent Flood Insurance Rate Map Zone Information Letter

Elevation Certificate Addresses Available for Review

American Red Cross Tips to Prepare in the Event of a Hurricane

Six Tips for Restoring Louisiana Homes To Reduce Damage in Future Floods

The Benefits and Costs of Freeboard

NFIP Map Changes and Flood insurance: What Property Owners Need to Know (11/18)

How Recent Legislative Changes Affect Flood Insurance

How April 2015 Program Changes Will Affect Flood Insurance Premiums

Flood Insurance for Business: Impacts of Recent Legislation

Homeowner's Guide to Retrofitting (FEMA 3rd edition, 6/2014)

Repairing Your Flooded Home (American Red Cross)

Family Disaster Plan (American Red Cross)

Flood Proofing Techniques, Programs and References (5/2000)

Openings in Foundation Walls and Walls of Enclosure (TB1 8/08)

Non-Engineered Opening Guide (1/15)

St. Tammany Parish Hazard Mitigation Update - 2015

St. Tammany Parish Hazard Mitigation Progress Report - 2019

City of Mandeville Hazard Mitigation Progress Report - 2019


New Flood Maps FAQ

When will the new flood maps become effective?

The new maps were effective May 16, 2012.

Where can I find my new flood zone?

You can find your flood zone at the Louisiana Mapping Project ,maps may be searched by address.

Will my flood insurance automatically go down once the maps change?

No, in order to lower flood insurance, residents will need to supply an updated Elevation Certificate from a surveyor that shows the new flood zone and base flood elevations.

Will residents who are mid-policy year when the maps change, be able to receive a credit or a refund on their flood insurance?

Yes, when the new information is submitted to the insurance agent by the homeowner, the company will make an "endorsement" on the policy. If the base flood elevation was lowered, then the policyholder will get a pro-rata refund.

What is a "X" flood zone and a "shaded-X" flood zone?

With the new set of maps, FEMA has changed the names of a couple of flood zones. The old "C" zones are now called "X" and the old "B" zones are now "shaded-X". There is absolutely no difference in the meaning, just the name changed. Neither of these zones are considered high risk, and neither zone requires the purchase of federal flood insurance.

My house is in 2 different flood zones, which one am I?

If 2 different flood zones touch a structure, the more hazardous flood zone will be used. For example, if a house is in both an "A" zone and a "X" zone, the "A" zone will be used to regulate the structure since it is the more hazardous of the two.

My flood zone is getting more restrictive - what do I do?

The city would like for homeowners to contact Louisette Scott, the Floodplain Administrator, or Lori Spranley, Floodplain Coordinator, for the city, in order to discuss your options in more detail. There are ways that you can be "grandfathered" into lower insurance rates, so please call at 985-624-3103.

City of Mandeville